1808 – First house built in Alliance area by Amos Holloway.
1820 – First log cabin school.
1824 – Jobsville founded at the intersection of Union Avenue and State Street – Renamed Mount Union in 1833.
1827 – Williamsport founded by William Teeters – Birthplace of Alliance Methodist and United Brethren churches.
1832 – The Great Squirrel Hunt of 1832 when 1600 squirrels were shot to help the farmers save their crops from being devoured by the rodents.
August 22, 1833 – Richard Fawcett laid out 40 lots to found what became village of Mount Union.
1837 – Village of Mount Union founded.
July 24, 1838 – Freedom founded by Matthias Hester. He builds the Hester Block, Alliance’s first brick house.
October 1, 1841 – Philip Sharer establishes Sharer Cabinet and Undertaking in the Village of Freedom building hand made quality furnishings and caskets and becomes Alliance’s first merchant.
October 4, 1846 – “Select School” founded in Mount Union. Orville Hartshorn, Director.
October 6, 1846 – Mount Union classes begin in the old “Carding Mill”. (6 students).
1850 – Liberty founded, later renamed Alliance.
1850 – Matthias Hester platted Alliance at the junction of the O & P and C & W Railroads.
July 4, 1851 – First locomotive passes through Alliance on the Cleveland and Wellsville Railroad.
1853-1865 – Jonathan Ridgeway Haines and Sarah Grant Haines use their home as a station on the Underground Railroad.
1854 – The Alliance Ledger becomes Alliance’s first newspaper. Published weekly, it was first edited by Dr. Levi L. Lamborn.
March 15, 1854 – Petition signed by 98 members of the community to incorporate Alliance as a village.
June 9, 1854 – Settlements of Williamsport, Freedom, and Alliance were incorporated into the village of Alliance.
October 4, 1854 – first election held in Alliance. Harvey Laughlin elected first mayor.
October 25, 1855 – Alliance Masonic Lodge, No. 271, was chartered. Joseph Conrad was its first Worshipful Master.
April 12, 1856 – “Great” storm hits. Tornado destroys most of Alliance including buildings, crops, livestock.
1856 – J.T. Weybrecht establishes first lumber yard in Alliance.
December 8, 1856 – Worst train disaster in Alliance.
January 9, 1858 – Mount Union college chartered.
February 15 1861 – Lincoln visits the Sourbeck House on the way to his inauguration.
1864 – U.S. Supreme Court Justice Salmon P. Chase speaks at Mount Union’s Chapman Hall dedication.
1866 – Dr. Levi Lamborn propagates the Scarlet Carnation.
1867 – Matthew Earley builds home at the corner of Park and Vine.
1871 – Marchand and Morgan begin manufacturing steam hammers.
?1871 – J.W.Gillespie begins publishing the Alliance Review.
1873 – Great economic panic strikes Alliance.
1874 – Conrad Masonic Lodge No. 494 was founded.
January 1, 1875 – Mabel Hartzell is born in Saginaw, MI.
1875 – J. S. Cassaday and Sons founded to make furniture and caskets.
September 23, 1878 – Pres R.B.Hayes visits Alliance. Local militia blows windows out of President’s car with a canon salute.
1883 – August Tanner was appointed the first chief of the Alliance Fire Department by Mayor Simon Johnson.
1884 – Morgan Engineering is founded.
1884 – Solid Steel Company opens in Alliance. Becomes American Steel.
February 1, 1884 – Orr building explosion.
1886 – The Alliance and Conrad Masonic Lodges merged to become Conrad Lodge No. 271.
June 2, 1886 – Alliance’s Marchand Opera House collapses due to structural defects in the bricks.
1887 – Alliance incorporated as a city.
1888 – Mount Union is annexed into Alliance.
September 17, 1888 – Alliance Review is first published.
December 10, 1888 – 1st electric street cars begin service in Alliance. .
1892 – City Savings Bank established.
1895 – Transue & Williams Steel Forging Corporation incorporates.
1895-1896 – The first Alliance sewage treatment plant was constructed on Keystone Street, making Alliance the third city in Ohio to construct a treatment plant.
1898 – Company K OVI leaves Main Street Depot for the Spanish American War.
1898 – Hillgreen-Lane and Company of Alliance was founded by Alfred Hillgreen and Charles Alva Lane.
1899 – Robert C. Hopkins, who would become the engineer in charge of building the Glamorgan mansion and the manager of the Alliance Brass and Bronze Company, came to Alliance from Pennsylvania to attend Mount Union College.
September 15, 1900 – First free library opens.
1901 – Alliance Hospital Association admits first patient.
1901 – The Alliance Council No. 558 of the Knights of Columbus was instituted, with the St. Joseph’s School being the first meeting place for the group of 29 charter members.
April 1901 – Fireman Torry Walker loses his life while fighting a fire.
April 19, 1901 – A paralyzing two-day snowstorm enveloped Stark County, with the official depth being recorded at 15.5 inches but the wetness of the snow being equivalent to 31 inches.
1901 – William H. Purcell founds Alliance Machine Company.
1902 – Alliance Public Library holds 2,800 books.
May 31, 1903 – The U.R. Transylvania Society, a Romanian organization originally located at 802 East Broadway, was founded.
1903 – McCaskey Register Company incorporates.
1903-1905 – William H. Morgan builds Glamorgan Castle.
February 3, 1904 – scarlet carnation named official state flower.
September 6, 1904 – New Carnegie Free Library dedicated. Total cost: $26,000 ; Total volumes: 4,638.
1905 – Lexington Hotel fire.
1907 – The Mount Union Station of the Alliance Fire Department, the first station in the city to be constructed for motorized equipment, was built.
1912 – Alliance Hospital Association renamed Alliance City Hospital.
1912 – The Buckeye Twist Drill Company, the only producer of twists and drills in early Stark County history, was organized by O.F. Transue, F. E. Dussell and several others.
1912 – Rabbi Krash began his duties as the resident Rabbi at the Alliance Temple.
October 9, 1915 – The cornerstone on the Alliance Masonic Temple building was laid, but the building would not be completed until December 1917.
1916 – John Held was appointed chief of the Alliance Fire Department, making him the youngest chief of a paid fire department in the State of Ohio.
April 15, 1917 – The Alliance Chapter of the American Red Cross was organized, with Miss Mary Kay and Colonel and Mrs. Charles Weybrecht leading the effort.
1938 – The Flower Garden Club of Alliance was organized, with Mrs. William H. Morgan, Jr. as the first president.
January 31, 1939 – Spring-Holzwarth fire.
1939 – The Alliance Elks Lodge No. 467 purchased the former Morgan mansion (Glamorgan Castle) and 50 acres of land for $25,000.
June 29, 1939 – Alliance Historical Society chartered and holds first meeting in YWCA’s Haggart Hall.
1940 – United Co-Operatives, a farm cooperative specializing in paints and chemicals, began operating out of the former Buckeye Twist Drill Company buildings.
1940 – A former pottery building on the northeast corner of Lake Park and South Mahoning was purchased by the Alliance Manufacturing Company for its assembling operations.
April 2, 1942 – Morgan Engineering Company became the first company in Stark County to be awarded the Navy “E” flag, for excellence in the production of war equipment.
1944 – The Alliance Porcelain Products Company, organized in 1934 by Dr. Clarence J. Rodman, changed its name to Alliance Ware, Inc.
1946 – Taylorcraft fire.
1947 – Columbia Theater fire.
April 30, 1948 – Perry King is born.
1948 – Dr. Perry F. King, a surgical pioneer of Alliance City Hospital, died.
1948 – Armour & Co. began business in Alliance at the former Taylorcraft property, operating by-product divisions in coated abrasives and cushioning products.
1951 – The War Memorial at public square was financed with a memorial fund of $4,800.
March 20, 1952 – Babcock & Wilcox was the largest employer in Alliance, with 1,235 employees between its Keystone, Rush, and Research Center locations.
1952 – Alliance Historical Society erects a monument in memory of the early settlers of Williamsport.
1952 – Curvis Rhyne begins his first term as an Alliance city councilman.
1952 – The Alliance Rubber Company, founded in 1923 by William H. Spencer, had 80 employees, made 300 types of rubber bands, and was the largest company of its kind in the world.
1954 – McGee’s Motel, located 1.5 miles west of Alliance and operated by Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Sherban, was the only motel in Stark County serving breakfast to its guests as part of its service.
1954 – Alliance changed the source of its water supply from the Mahoning River to Deer Creek Reservoir.
1954 – George Weimer graduates from Mount Union College.
December 1, 1954 – Mabel Hartzell dies and bequeaths her home and its contents to the Alliance Historical Society.
1955 – The Christopher Columbus Lodge completed its new lodge building on South Liberty.
March 29, 1955 – Alliance Historical Society trustees accept the Mabel Hartzell House to be used as a museum.
September 11, 1955 – Dedication of the Mabel Hartzell Historical Home.
1956 – The Alliance Manufacturing Company was the largest manufacturer of small fractional horsepower shaded pole motors in the world, at seasonal peaks the biggest employer in Alliance, and in all seasons the biggest employer of women.
September 1957 – The Alliance Police Department consisted of the chief, three captains, a lieutenant, and 21 patrolmen, while the jail had 10 cells for men and 3 for women.
1957 – Alliance had three movie theaters with a combined seating capacity of 2,400.
1957 – The Alliance Kiwanis Club was the largest Kiwanis club in Stark County, with 134 members.
April 1, 1959 – Alliance officially designated the Carnation City.
June 27-July 2, 1960 – First Carnation City Festival.
January 1963 – Rodman Public Library completed. Cost: $660,000 ; Total volumes: 72,000.
1963 – Alliance Public Library named Rodman Public Library in honor of its generous benefactor C. J. Rodman.
1964 – Alliance Machine purchases Glamorgan and begins restoration of the facility.
1965 – North side of Main Street and Fiegenschuh’s fire.
May 5, 1970 – Don Pancho’s Tex-Mex Restaurant established.
1970 – Tolerton Lumber Company and the Armory fire.
September 5, 1972 – New Alliance High School opened.
July 18, 1973 – Glamorgan becomes the property of the Alliance City Schools District.
1974 – United Cooperative on Ely Street and structural shop of Morgan Engineering fires.
June 30, 1976 – Fairmount Children’s Home closes after 100 years.
1982 – Friendly’s Furniture fire, 400 block of Main Street.
1983 – John Christian purchases the Cassaday-Turkle Funeral Home.
1986 – Daniel Skivolocke purchases the Sharer-Stirling Funeral Home.
1987 – Alliance native Len Dawson is inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
1989 – McFadden Masonic Lodge was absorbed into Conrad Lodge.
1990 – Carnation Mall Branch of Rodman Public Library opens.
December 7, 1991 – Aviators’ Jet is installed at Alliance High School.
2001 – Haines House museum opens.
2001 – Morgan Engineering and former Alliance Steel fire.
January 23, 2005 – Rose Mary Woods dies in Alliance.
2007 – Rodman Public Library renovation is completed. Cost: $2.4 million ; Total volumes: 228,739.
2008 – Mount Union graduate Pierre Garcon is drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the 6th round (205th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft.
June 10, 2010 – Cat Fanciers’ Museum opens in the former Midland-Buckeye Bank building on the corner of Main Street and Arch Avenue.
May 2011 – The World War History and Art Museum (WWHAM) opens in the College Plaza.
2011 – Mount Union graduate Cecil Shorts is drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the 4th round (114th overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft.
2012 – Alliance Wholesalers and PTC Alliance fire.