A Short History of Alliance, Ohio
The City of Alliance finds its beginnings in 1850 when two major railroad lines, the Ohio & Pennsylvania and Cleveland & Wellsville Railroads intersected in Liberty, once known as “The Crossing”. Three small communities, Williamsport (founded 1827), Freedom (founded 1830), and Liberty (founded 1850) merged at this time. Four years later in 1854, the village incorporated as Alliance. In 1889, the Village of Mount Union was annexed into Alliance.
Alliance is often referred to as the town where Main Street is a dead-end. The fact is that when Main Street was platted, it brought people to the train station which was the heart of the city’s transportation hub. The railroads were central to industry and personal transportation, bringing in raw materials for factories and sending out finished goods.
Other Places to Find Out About Alliance History
- Allance Memory – View and listen to Alliance related media, photographs, and documents
- Rodman Public Library – Rodman Public Library houses many books relating to the history of Alliance
- The Alliance Index – An index to articles, obituaries, and marriage notices from The Alliance Review
- Haines House – An Underground Railroad site
- Glamorgan Castle – Home built by Col. William H. Morgan