Hartzell Historical Home
The Mabel Hartzell Historical Home was built in 1867 for Matthew and Mary Edwards Earley. The style is Italianate and features wide eaves supported by pronounced bracketing. The front porch runs along the entire front and a portion of the side of the house.
Arch-shaped ornamentation is incorporated between the porch posts. The bricks were manufactured in the Alliance area.
Matthew Earley was born in Poland, Ohio in 1829, and moved to the Alliance area in 1859. He married Mary Edwards Earley in 1865. Matthew operated a tannery at Vine Street and Walnut Avenue. He owned a machine shop in Bolton, Ohio and was a city councilman.
The Earley home was considered a showplace in the late 1800s. The original property extended north to the Mahoning River. A portion of the Earley’s farm is now Earley’s Hill Park, part of the Alliance City park system.
Mabel Hartzell willed her home and its contents to the Alliance Historical Society upon her death to be used as an historical museum for the city of Alliance.
The Mabel Hartzell Historical Home, located at 840 N. Park Avenue, Alliance, OH is owned and operated by the Alliance Historical Society. Tours are available by appointment. Contact the Society for further information or to schedule a tour by calling 330-736-1116 or by email at email@example.com.