William McMaster

William H. McMaster (1875-1962)

Class of 2026 – Educator

Known affectionately as “Prexy,” William Henry McMaster served as the fourth president of Mount Union College from 1908 to 1938.

Born on September 17, 1875, in Centerville in Belmont County, Ohio, he was the second of three children to Dr. James N. and Susan (Neff) McMaster.

In 1899, he graduated from Mount Union with a bachelor’s degree in philosophy. In 1902, he earned a bachelor of divinity degree at Drew Theological Seminary, and a year later, he earned a master’s degree at New York University. While serving as president, he earned his doctorate of divinity from Ohio Wesleyan in 1911.

Throughout his career, he was conferred with honorary doctor of laws degrees from the University of Pittsburgh (1926), Allegheny College (1938) and Mount Union (1946).

On May 8, 1907 he married Isabella Thoburn Mills. The couple had three children, all graduates of Mount Union, including Isabella Thoburn Thompson (1929), William H. McMaster Jr. (1932), and Janet Lyle Oman (1935).

A minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church when he was called back to Mount Union in 1908 to succeed Dr. Albert Birdsall Riker as president of his alma mater, McMaster became the first alumnus of the institution to serve in that capacity. At the age of 33, he was also the youngest college president in the country at the time.

McMaster’s tenure at Mount Union was a period of important formulative years in which the college experienced significant growth, including the transformation from a composite college to strictly a liberal arts institution. During that period, Mount Union was officially recognized by several accrediting agencies.

In 1911, he oversaw the merger between Mount Union and Scio College.

During his tenure, the endowment fund grew from $114,000 in 1909 to more than $1,500,000 by 1934. Meanwhile, student enrollment increased from 127 to 520 despite the fact that the Great Depression had been damaging to most colleges.

McMaster was credited with building a strong faculty of longstanding and beloved professors and developing Mount Union’s physical plant with the addition of Lamborn Science Hall, Elliott Residence Hall, Clarke Observatory, Hartshorn Stadium (today the oldest stadium in Ohio), and Memorial Hall (razed).

The library facilities at Mount Union grew more than fourfold as books increased from 11,000 volumes to more than 45,000 during his tenure. Meanwhile, the value of scientific equipment went from $15,000 to $75,000.

He also prompted establishment of many alumni organizations throughout the country and prompted the formation of the Mount Union Women’s Association, later becoming the College Women’s Club.

Following his retirement from Mount Union, he taught religious education at the University of Miami for 12 years, retiring in 1960 with the rank of professor emeritus.

In December 1956, Mount Union honored McMaster with the dedication of McMaster Residence Hall for Women, The University also honored Dr. McMaster with the dedication of a chapel inside the student union in his name.

He died on November 14, 1962 in Miami, Florida, at the age of 87.

C.C. Davidson

C.C. Davidson (1842-1926)

Class of 2026 – Educator

For more than 50 years, Charles C. Davidson was a leader in educational and financial circles in Alliance, active in the business of both at the time of his death in 1926 at the age of 84.

Vital in the development of the Alliance public school system, he served as superintendent of schools for nine years. Following retirement from that post, he served on the board of education at various times, including nine consecutive years at the time of his death and had presided as president of the body during a meeting just two weeks prior.

He was also influential in banking around Alliance, being among the organizers of every bank that existed in the city in 1926, including the Alliance Building and Savings Company, which he founded and was still actively associated, as well as the People’s Bank of which he was still a director.

A lifelong member and regular attender of the First Methodist Church and the Masons, C.C. Davidson was marked by devotion to any duty and had missed only two board of education meetings during his many years of service.

Born near Caldwell on February 24, 1842, he attended Ohio University and eventually graduated from the Normal School at Worthington.

Following graduation, he was superintendent of schools at Quaker City, near Columbus, for two years. In 1876, he took the same position at Lisbon, serving for seven years. In 1883, he took over as head of the Alliance Schools. One of his major contributions as superintendent was starting a book drive in 1886 that eventually led to the first public library service in Alliance.

He organized the Alliance Building and Savings Company in 1899, serving in an executive capacity until his death. He was recognized as a “major capitalist” of the city through his banking connections.

He married Mary Martha Patterson (1850 – 1942) on October 13, 1875. The couple were parents to Carl, who was a representative of the Goodyear Company in the Philippines in 1926.

They lived at 59 West Ely Street.

C.C. Davidson died on December 6, 1926 and is buried at Alliance City Cemetery.