The Alliance Municipal Court Mural, located in the stairwell of the Alliance Courthouse features images of local landmarks found throughout the court district. The Alliance Municipal Court serves approximately 50,000 people in Eastern Stark County. The Court District includes the townships of Butler (Alliance), Lexington, Paris, Marlboro, and Washington. Images of local landmarks were sketched by students from Alliance, Marlington, and Minerva to highlight the landmarks. Jack T. Hamilton of Brushworks Custom Painting was commissioned by the Alliance Auto Club to work his artistic magic to create the mural in 2003 to commemorate the National Auto Club’s 100th Anniversary.
Alliance Municipal Court Mural Landmarks
Pictured in the mural counterclockwise from the top left:
- The Chapel in Marlboro located on SR619, the church began with 21 parishioners in 1976 to one of the area’s largest churches today.
- Pegasus Farm is a non-profit, charitable organization. The 120-acre therapeutic horseback riding farm, at SR44 and SR619 in Marlboro Township, serves people with disabilities.
- Marlington Local School District
- Science Hill School was a one-room schoolhouse active from 1884 to 1956 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Restored in 1992, the school serves area teachers and school children as a “living history” classroom. It’s located at the corner of Beeson Street and McCallum Avenue in Lexington Township.
- Walborn and Deer Creek Reservoirs in Lexington Township. In addition to supplying water to the City of Alliance, the recreation area provides fishing, water skiing, and sailing.
- Robertsville Grange is located in Paris Township and one of Ohio’s most active granges. Meetings and social activities are held there.
- Family Farm representative of the contributions of the court district’s agricultural community, to the food supply of our nation and the world.
- Minerva Local School District
- Minerva Clock is one of the finest restored clocks in the United States. Located in downtown Minerva, the clock chimes every 15 minutes during the day.
- Minerva Railroad Station and Caboose
- Glamorgan Castle was built in the early 1900s as the home of Alliance industrialist Col. William Henry Morgan. Today, it is home to the administrative offices of the Alliance City School District.
- Freedom Veterans’ Memorial Plaza honors the dead from Alliance who served in all wars and conflicts. The central monument features Abraham Lincoln. [Marking Time video, pt. 1] [Marking Time video, pt. 2]
- Alliance City School District
- Mount Union Stadium are home to the championship Mount Union Purple Raiders football team, college track andd soccer teams, and the Alliance High School football team. Built in 1915, it is the oldest NCAA football stadium in the State of Ohio. [Marking Time video]
- Chapman Hall was constructed in 1864 and was the first facility built on the Mount Union campus. Named after a founding faculty member, it’s a reminder of University of Mount Union’s rich tradition and history. [Marking Time video]
- Haines House was built in 1830 and is known as a major station on the Underground Railroad. It is owned and operated by the Alliance Area Preservation Society and is located at W. Market Street and Haines Avenue in Alliance.
- Mabel Hartzell Historical Home is a fully restored 1867 Victorian home on North Park Avenue and E. Vine Street in Alliance. It is named for Mabel Hartzell, a prominent educator, civic leader, and Alliance school board member.